Think of the classic diner in 1950s America, and you get Denny’s Keto diner. Also referred to affectionately by the marketing term of ‘America’s Diner’, it is open 24 hours daily and will give you many of the classic dishes you would get in the classic diner, like milkshakes, burgers, and the grand slam breakfast.
The good news is that they have expanded their menu in recent years and now have an entire section dedicated to healthy treats and meals, as well as a 55 and over section. Because of this, you can get plenty of Keto-friendly diet options, as long as you place them wisely.
For more information on the nutritive value of their meals, you can check out their guide on their website.
Useful tips when ordering food at Denny’s Keto
The official website states that the company started as a donut shop in 1953, then later added their signature dish, the grand slam breakfast in 1977, and has remained a staple ever since.
The Grand slam breakfast involves two bacon strips, two buttermilk pancakes, two sausage strips, two eggs with the sunny side up, and your choice of toast or hash browns with coffee and juice. That meal sounds heavy by the description alone – and it is true, going up to 1990 calories.
That description makes Denny’s diner not be the best place to eat healthy. Even though their burgers are 100% beef, you do not have any way of telling what else goes into the meals. This makes them similar to other fast food restaurants and joints – and you cannot be sure these foods are cooked in olive, avocado or coconut oil anyway.
If you find yourself going to eat there anyway despite your diet plan, there are a few things you need to know.
Stay away from the festive flavor menu
The eating joint has a festive flavors section in the menu, all taking inspiration from many holiday dishes. That can only mean one thing – you are indulging in loads of refined sugar and processed carbs. These include cinnamon roll pancakes, pumpkin spice pancake, and several desserts. The best advice you can get is this: skip this section entirely, and instead focus on the dishes that have meat as their base.
The meat dishes are mainly within the fit fare menu selection, and include choices such as sirloin steak, wild Alaskan salmon, and fit slam. However, this brings us to the next tip, which is:
Customize the food
There are several options on the menu where they can allow you to customize the meal. Take advantage of this option, and remember that you do not need to follow the menu strictly. For instance, you can order omelets and ask them to remove the hash browns and toast. The good thing is their menu is very extensive, so you will not have a problem with finding something good.
Know what you need to eat before going to eat
The needs you have when following a low carb diet will be different from when you are following a Keto diet, as you can afford to be less picky. An example would be the seasonal fruit option that they offer as a substitute for toast, but this contains too many carbs if you are a ketogenic eater. Another instance would be if you are allergic to gluten, so you can order hash browns but leave out toast.
In case you are unsure, you can check out their menu in advance and see the foods that will fit your requirements, or go to their website to get more information on the nutrient values.
Order eggs without milk At Denny’s Keto
There are some restaurants that like putting milk in omelets and scrambled eggs to make them fluffy. However, this is a bad idea if you are on Keto, because milk has too many carbs and sugars. Ask the server for over-medium eggs, or tell the cook to not add milk.
What should I order?
The good thing is Denny’s is always open, and the breakfast meals are not very hard to customize. You only need to avoid toast and has browns. Here are some suggestions.
You can order these without pancakes, toast or hash browns. Substitute them for avocado slices, extra meat, or eggs instead.
- Lumberjack slam
- Customizable slam (includes eggs, bacon, and sausage)
- All American slam
- Fit slam (without English muffins)
- Grand slam slugger without the juice
- Ultimate omelet
- Customizable omelet (avoid flavored meat like chorizo sausage and caramelized onion)
- Philly cheese steak
- Hammy and cheese
Classic breakfast options
- Grand sandwich (without hash browns, potato bread, or maple spice spread)
- Supreme sizzlin’ skillet with extra vegetables (no redskin potatoes)
- Moons over my hammy (without grilled sourdough bread or hash browns)
- T-bone steak and eggs (no toast or hash browns)
- Fit fare sizzling skillet with extra vegetables and salsa (no redskin potatoes)
- Slow cooked pot roast without caramelized onions and gravy (note: if this is not an option, then skip it entirely and go for double broccoli)
- Wild Alaskan salmon or tilapia ranchero with double broccoli (without mashed potatoes)
- Steak sirloin with steamed broccoli
In the case of all, there should be vinegar and oil dressing. They are house salad, Caesar salad and Cobb salad.
Burgers and sandwiches
All should include no sauce, mayo or the bun, as well as onion rings and fries. They include:
- The super bird
- Grilled Tuscan chicken
- Cali club
- Mega Philly with shredded cheese and without the Pepper Jack queso
- America’s diner cheeseburger
- Spicy Sriracha without sauce
- Pot roast melt without gravy or caramelized onions
- Bourbon chicken sizzlin’ skillet without glazing and potatoes
- Mediterranean grilled chicken without tomato bruschetta, and the salad should have vinegar and oil
Things to avoid
- All pancakes
- Toast bread in all variations
- Loaded veggie omelet
- Santa Fe sizzlin’ skillet
- Bacon cheddar tots
- Home-style meatloaf
- All dressings and sauces except vinegar and oil
- All desserts and milkshakes
- All appetizers and soups
- Fried cheese melt
- Classic BLT
While Denny’s might not be the best place to eat if you are on a Keto diet, there are still options you can explore – as long as you are wise when ordering them Denny’s Keto