If you are on a diet, we understand the struggle of getting healthy food options when you decide to eat out on those special occasions. In particular, the Keto diet is among the most challenging to follow through – especially when you take them to a restaurant specializing in carb foods like pancakes, and then telling them they have to get a low-carb option.
It is this reason that makes IHOP so challenging to go to when you are a Keto diet individual, but there are ways to get around the problem as long as you plan ahead. The major aspect that makes this eatery stand out is that it is a breakfast eatery, so they will have Keto-friendly diet options like sausages, eggs and bacon. You just need to deal with the carbs staring at you the whole time.
Here are some tips to help you know what to order the next time you decide to look for IHOP Keto options.
Useful tips for ordering at IHOP Keto
A general rule you should follow when you are on Keto or any other diet is to eat your foods at home as often as possible, as you have total control over what goes into your food and what to avoid. Because restaurants are a social place, chances are you might get distracted at some point and eat something you should avoid.
As with many restaurants today, you can find low carb options at IHOP, but the foods will likely not be organic. That means you are likely exposing your body to chemicals and food additives, which you would rather avoid as much as you can. In addition, you will likely be eating foods that are fried in vegetable oil because it is cheaper, but this is not compliant with Keto diet standards.
In case you do find yourself going to IHOP eateries with your friends though, here are some tips you can use:
If you are the person that cannot say no to pancakes and are on a Keto diet, then you are better off staying away from IHOP – after all, they are known as the international house of pancakes for a reason. You would rather make Keto-friendly pancakes, and only go to IHOP if you are sure you have sufficient self-discipline.
If you need to, then take a look at their menu and see the options you can eat in advance, and maintain the position you have on your order when you are placing it.
Regardless of the time of day, order breakfast
IHOP eateries always have a policy of either being open 24 hours, or until 11 PM. their breakfast options also run the whole day, so you have a chance of getting something low carb.
When you get there, you can always order a dish that has egg and meat, and skip the starch components. For instance, a T-bone steak and egg combination can work, even without the pancakes, or you can try their omelet that contains avocado, chicken, cheese and bacon – there should be no pancake batter though.
You can top these options with sour cream, and request for extra veggies like onions, spinach, mushrooms, and broccoli. While you can also get tomato or fruit slices instead of hash browns, note that this can reverse the benefits of ketosis. Unless you know the ingredient composition and their mode of preparation, you are better off avoiding the tomatoes and fruits.
Select cheese sandwiches and burgers
If you do not want eggs, there is a great selection of sandwiches, steak burgers and salads you can eat. The best one on the list is the steak sandwich or burger (minus the bun and sauce). Avoid the fries that come with it, and instead order a side house salad with vinegar or lemon slice and oil topping.
Get fresh eggs
When getting eggs from IHOP, avoid the scrambled egg – they specify that it is made from wheat pancake batter and buttermilk. Instead, opt for their fresh eggs, which you can get poached, over-medium, over-easy, or fried.
What should I order at IHOP Low Carb?
The good thing about IHOP is that they will give you plenty of options on what you can order, so you can ask for a custom-made meal if what is on the menu does not satisfy you. In addition, there are plenty of low-carb ingredients, which include low-0carb veggies, meats, eggs, cheese, bacon, sour cream, and avocado.
Options for breakfast
- You can create your melt, and eat it with bacon, eggs, shredded corned beef, or cheese. Just avoid the bread.
- Ultimate waffle stack, without sweet maple glaze or waffles
- Southwest scramble without the toast, red potatoes, tortilla, or pancakes
- IHOP signature pancake sliders. Get it with fresh eggs, and do not include sweet maple glaze or silver dollar pancakes
- Breakfast sampler without hash browns and buttermilk pancakes
- Eggs and sirloin tips without hash browns and pancakes
- 2 x 2 x 2 without the pancakes, while including extra meat if possible
- Eggs and T-bone steak without pancakes
- Two egg breakfast without toast or fruit
- Smokehouse combo without pancakes or hash browns
- Chicken fajita
- Cheeseburger without hash browns and ketchup
- Mushroom and spinach without hollandaise sauce
- Country omelet without hash browns
- Garden omelet
- Bacon temptation omelet
- Egg white vegetable
- Slider trio without buns
- Mega monster steak
- Classic steak burger without sauce
- Jalapeno kick without the mayo
- Turkey, avocado and bacon wrap without tortilla
- Swiss steak and mushroom burger without mayo
- House or chicken Cobb salad with vinegar and oil dressing
- Double BLT without mayo or bread
- Roasted turkey sandwich without mayo or bread
- Patty melt without sauce
- Roast turkey and fixings without turkey gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, or stuffing. Instead, choose a side salad
- Sirloin steak tips with steamed broccoli, avoid corn and mashed potatoes
- Tilapia Florentine without Alfredo sauce and mashed potatoes
- Grilled tilapia or chicken with sautéed spinach or broccoli
- Swiss and turkey sandwich with a side salad, no bread or mayo
IHOP might be considered as a torturous eatery for you if you are on a Keto diet, but you can get around it if you plan well. Just make sure to stick to omelets, steaks and burgers, with some adjustments.
what can i eat keto at ihop
keto drinks at ihop
lowest carb dishes at ihop
Does IHOP have a low carb menu?
Do IHOP omelettes have carbs?