If there is a recipe that is a favorite of many people, the Mississippi pot roast has to take the top spots. It is both easy to make and very delicious, with a very melt-in-your-mouth approach to beef roast. In fact, there are a number of food blogs that call it the ‘internet darling’ of food recipes (Mississippi pot roast keto).
In its traditional form, the dish is made in a slow—cooker, and is made up of a chuck roast with pepperoncini peppers, butter, au jus, as well as Ranch dressing packet. The result is meat that comes out as very tender and moist, and it also has a fatty broth that comes from the au jus and butter. You do not have to live in Mississippi to enjoy this meal, as there are countless recipes on the internet.
If you are on the Keto diet, it is sure to please your taste buds and fulfill your nutritional requirements, since it is low in carbs and full of flavor. It is also easy to make, giving you amazing results for Mississippi pot roast keto.
Nutritional breakdown for Mississippi pot roast keto
The total calories are 413, while the fat gives you 279 calories.
|Nutrients||% daily value|
Ingredients to make the meal
The best thing about this meal is that it is the epitome of ‘set it and forget it’, and it gives a tasty, healthy and filling meal that you can use in leftovers or as a sandwich.
You can use any cut of meat for the recipe, although the more common approach is using beef chuck roast. This is the meat that comes from a cow’s shoulder. The reason is that this part contains quite a bit of connective tissue like collagen, which will melt during the cooking process. The meat itself is also great when you want to make BBQ beef, pulled beef for sandwiches, beef stew, and shredded beef for tacos.
The ingredients are:
- ½ cup of beef stock
- Four lbs. beef chuck roast – same thing as a pot roast and is the best choice because of its fat/meat ratio, although you can use other meats as well.
- Six Tbsp. of butter
- One jar pepperoncini peppers – these are also called Tuscan peppers, and are low in the calorie and carb counts. They are among the mildest form of peppers, so they are a good alternative if you are serving someone who does not like spicy food that much.
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Four tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp. dry dill
- 1½ tsp. onion powder
- 1½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tsp. dried onion flakes
- 1 Tsp. dry chives
- 2 Tsp. avocado oil
All Methods For Mississippi pot roast Keto
Mix all the seasoning ingredients in a bowl – dried onion flakes, beef broth, dried chives, dried dill, onion powder, garlic powder, pepperoncini, black pepper, and any other seasoning you want. Set aside for later use.
As for the meat, you can use three methods to make it, as outlined in the table below.
- You need to sear the sides of the roast using either avocado oil or ghee, or you can work with an alternative oil that has a high smoke point. Do this in a pan that has a heavy bottom, over medium or high heat on a stovetop. The best one to use is a Dutch oven, since it is heavy and you can transfer it to your oven immediately.
- Once you are done, transfer the meat to a casserole dish that is oven-safe (Dutch oven works perfectly), add your favorite seasonings, as well as some liquid until it covers half the meat. The liquid can either be red or white wine, beef stock, water, beer, and so on. point to note though: if you are using beer or wine, mix it with some water so that the flavor is not overwhelming.
- Cover it and cook it in the oven (the temperature should be set at 325F). leave it until it becomes sufficiently tender to shred using a fork. For a roast weighing 3 lbs., this should take 3 to 4 hours. Continue to monitor the roast, and add some liquid if it looks dry.
- You can then add the vegetables you want, after the roast cooks for at least an hour.
Using a slow cooker or crockpot
- As with the oven method, start off by searing both the roast sides using avocado oil or ghee in a heavy bottomed pan. Do this over a stove top in medium to high heat.
- Transfer the meat to a slow cooker, then add the seasonings and liquid. Make sure the liquid covers the bottom of the pot, and it should reach about one inch – approximately one or 1½ cups of liquid. You can add any vegetables you want at this stage as well, such as celery, potatoes, carrots, and so on.
- Cook the roast on low heat, until the meat becomes tender. This should take about eight hours. If cooking on high, it will take four to five hours.
Instant pot roast (uses a pressure cooker)
- Just as with the previous two, you sear the roast on both sides using avocado oil or ghee, or any other oil with a high smoke point, through the ‘Sauté’ function.
- Add the liquid and seasonings. The liquid should be one to 1½ cups.
- Cook on manual high pressure for an hour (this is for a roast weighing 4 to 6 lbs.)
What should you serve with the roast?
There are a variety of things, which include:
- Paleo low carb sandwich rolls
- Low carb garlic butter and mashed cauliflower
- Keto beet macaroni and cheese, 30-Minute
- Garlic parmesan cauliflower rice
At the end of the day, the carb count of this meal is quite low, which makes it perfect for your diet. Some recipes will recommend that you use Ranch dressing, although this is not compulsory – especially because you are looking to minimize your carb intake as much as possible.
mississippi pot roast keto instant pot
keto mississippi roast slow cooker
mississippi roast keto instant pot
mississippi pot roast carbs